Saturday, October 15, 2011

New York State Apples

Many people are picky eaters, me included. I just began broadening my horizons and eating fruit regularly about three years ago. I hated the messiness of oranges and the consistency of bananas. I finally was pressured into eating an orange by a close friend and realized what I had been missing; juicy and refreshing, it even comes pre-packaged and in bit-sized pieces! You go, nature!

Bananas took a little bit more getting used to, but by the time I went to Belize for the course Reefs, Ruins and Rainforests I couldn’t wait to try an all natural banana. Needless to say, it was the best banana I have ever had.

So what does all this have to do with New York apples? Well even though I had started experimenting with eating fruit; until recently, I was still not a huge fan of eating apples. Now don’t go thinking that I don’t like apple pie, apple cider, hot apple cider with apple cider donuts (yummm…), apple turnovers, oatmeal with apples in it, sliced apples with honey, apple cake or apple smoked bacon. On the contrary, I love all of those dishes; I just didn’t like to bite into an apple. That is, until I had one of the delicious New York State apples from the dining hall. 



Instead of dessert I decided that an apple would be good for me, sweet enough and maybe even help clean my teeth a little bit, too. The apple I grabbed was deep red and fit perfectly in the palm of my hand. It was so delicious that I finished the whole thing. Every day since then I’ve picked up an apple on my way into or out of the dining hall. They are THAT GOOD (and local foods are good for the planet!).

So now it’s your turn. Go to one of our dining halls and try a New York State apple. You will not be disappointed. If you want to send us a picture of you eating one of our apples, please do!  I hope you all enjoy this delicious and healthy (and local!) snack.

-Spencer Grossman '13

No comments:

Post a Comment