Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Check out Student Health 101!


Health and Nutrition Advice:
About Students, By Student, For Students

One of the things I love to do in my free time is to read about food, nutrition, and health related topics. Whether it be through news article, blogs, magazines (or my personal guilty pleasure the Yahoo trending topics). I really enjoy learning tips about how to better my personal lifestyle, like discovering easy and fun workout routines or yummy, healthy recipes to try.

Most of the time, I am able to find interesting and relevant topics that I can integrate into my day-to-day schedule. However, sometimes I find myself asking, are these articles relatable to me? Can I make this information pertinent to my everyday life in college? That’s why I was so excited when I discovered IC’s Student Health 101. It is an online magazine that has great advice and includes topics such as, health, nutrition, money budgeting, and more! Not only that, but it is written by students, for students! Every article or video posted is chosen specifically from a student perspective. It makes the magazine extremely helpful, relatable and fun! I know when I read an article I know it will be useful in my life because it is coming from a student like me, on my own campus!

This September issue focuses particularly on health and nutrition tips that are designed for campus life. Nutrition tips found in the FitnessU section included, taking the stairs to burn calories (which is a tip that I have pledged to follow) and the benefits of yoga. And because I am self proclaimed foodie, I loved the fruit and veggie smoothie recipe found in the UCookbook section.

Every month, Ithaca Dining Services has a page in the magazine about healthy food in the dining halls.  September’s issue (page 11) featured ways students can find the nutrition information they need about the Dining Hall Food.

What’s even better about Student Health 101 is that it is absolutely free! This is great for all student budgets alike!

You can sign up for a subscription here: http://www.studenthealth101.com/register.html.

To receive updates from them you can like their facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ithaca-Student-Health-101/179893648786047.

Want more health and nutrition information about the dining halls? Ask our nutrition interns! Ithaca Dining Services currently has two Nutrition Interns; Anna Blumenthal, Health Sciences with Concentration in Nutrition, '14, and Emily Kauffman, Exercise Science, '14.  They are very knowledgeable about eating healthy in the dining halls, and can educate students that are restricted to a special diet, or interested in altering their eating habits. To ask any question regarding healthy eating in the Dining Halls, or to sign up for one of their Nutrition Tours, please contact DiningNutrition@ithaca.edu.

-Kat

Want to keep up with IC Dining?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICDining

No comments:

Post a Comment