There are many meatless options at our dining halls – even when it’s not Monday! Sometimes, the trick to satisfying your meatless needs is being creative. If you don’t like what’s on the hotline, or at the vegan/vegetarian section, or you don’t feel like getting a salad, where do you turn? If you’re ever feeling this way, my suggestion is the deli.
The deli gives you full control of your meal, and there are numerous ways in which you can customize your own sandwich or wrap. Here are some of my favorite deli creations:
1. The Hummus Sandwich. Personally, there is nothing better than hummus. I crave it every day, and luckily, there are a lot of health benefits to hummus. Hummus is made from chickpeas, and these legumes are a great source of protein. So here’s how I make my hummus sandwich: Ask for twelve grain bread, spread hummus on one piece, and put a tiny bit of mayonnaise on the other piece. Then, add a slice of your favorite cheese (mine is provolone). Finish it off with tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. This customized sandwich gets my mouth watering for Meatless Monday every week!
2. The Grilled Cheese and Tomato. My favorite thing about Campus Center Dining Hall is their new Panini press. Any sandwich you get from CC Dining Hall can be served as a steaming hot Panini. If you’re going meatless, try making your own grilled cheese. Select your choice of bread, ask for your favorite cheese (I like to use one slice of provolone and one slice of Swiss), then add tomato. If you like, add spinach and onion too! Then get that sandwich into the Panini press! Voilà! A customized grilled cheese!
3. The Southwestern Wrap. Disclaimer: This wrap does involve the help of the salad bar. Select a wrap of your choice, smear guacamole on it. Then add peppers, onions, lettuce, and cheddar cheese. Then take your wrap over to the salad bar and add beans! This wrap has the perfect mix of veggies and beans for protein. Hint: check out the hotline when making this wrap; if they're serving rice – add some into your wrap!
4. The Egg Salad Sandwich. Egg salad can be a tricky matter. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally have to be in just the right mood to eat it. But when eating meatless, it’s definitely an option to turn to! Egg salad already has ingredients mixed into it, so I like to get it just on twelve grain bread – nothing extra!
5. The Marinated Veggie Wrap. Terraces offers grilled, marinated veggies at their deli line. Getting these in a wrap with some cheese is a simply way to go vegetarian. No need for extra sauce, or condiments!
6. Let’s not forget the PB&J. This is pretty self-explanatory, but the assembly may need some assistance. Start off by asking the deli for two slices of your preferred bread. Then take your bread over to the toaster area, where you will find the peanut butter and jelly. Yummy! Can’t pass up this all time kid favorite sandwich.
As you can see, the sky is really the limit for creating your custom meatless sandwich or wrap. I hope you will be able to take these examples of how I use the deli for my meatless needs and use them for your own meatless endeavors! As always, be creative and don’t be afraid to try new things –you may even find your new favorite meal!
Stay connected with IC dining!
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ithaca-Dining-Services/360217938988.