Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring into Meatless Snacks!

Spring is in the air! I love the light feeling of spring. Leaving my parka in my room and exchanging it for a wind breaker, ditching the socks and heading for the flip-flops. Personally, during the spring, I find myself enjoying many light snacks throughout the day rather than a couple big meals. After all, there's no time to sit around and digest, there is the beautiful City of Ithaca to explore!

Here are a few of my favorite light (and MEATLESS) snacks that I enjoy during the spring time. The best part about these is that they are loaded with similar nutrition and health benefits found in meat but without the fat and high CO2 emission! 

Frozen Grapes
This snack can also be very sustainable if the grapes
 are bought locally!
 A bizarre thought at first, but trust me, try it and I guarantee you'll be addicted! Frozen grapes are a perfect snack for those warmer days. They are just as satisfying as a freeze pop or ice cream cone, but aren't sweetened with artificial sugar. Like many other fruits, grapes are loaded with many vitamins that help fight off heart disease and some forms of cancer. But grapes are unique in their source of flavonoids- a powerful antioxidant that reduces damage caused by free radicals (a byproduct of the digestive process that also can spawn from cigarette smoke and pollution). An excess of free radicals can cause oxidative stress and cell damage, which may lead to chronic health problems. 



Trail Mix



Who doesn't love trail mix? Really though, it is the coolest snack because you are able to add anything you could ever want, mix it together, and enjoy instantly! 

Some of my favorite things to put into trail mix are raisins, peanuts, goldfish, sesame sticks, pretzels, and of course, M&M's.


Veggies and Dip



Another easy snack that is customizable to your preference! Take any of your favorite veggies (mine are peppers and cucumbers), cut them up, and pair them with your favorite dip! 


Roasted Chickpeas

I know some people who squirm at the sight of a raw chickpea, but love when they're roasted. For me, chickpeas are delightful no matter if they're roasted or not, but this blogger recipe is hard to pass up! This is an easy on-the-go snack and you can season it to fit your mood! 




Kale Chips
Kale Chips are loaded with Vitamin K! 

Ok, so I may get way too excited talking about this snack, because the fact is, I absolutely love them! I know, there hasn't been one recipe on here that I haven't loved, but for real, these things are my jam. They are super easy to make (even if you live in a dorm building!) and they are so tasty, light, scrumptious, healthy, and did I mention, EASY! Simply buy a bundle of kale, cut off the steams, bake them into small bite sized pieces, lay them out on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt, bake them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, and you've got yourself one awesome snack! 





So shut down your computer, grab a snack, and go outside to enjoy the sunshine! 
-"Krazy Kale" Katelyn 

Like us on Facebook:  
Follow us on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/ICDining 
Check out our Meatless Monday Specials:
http://ithacadiningservices.com/dining.html
Take the Meatless Monday Pledge: 
http://www.meatlessmonday.com/join-the-movement

No comments:

Post a Comment